This weekend, James headed out west to my hometown of Denver for a sociology conference. He stayed with my family while he was there, which made me smile when I thought about him sitting with my parents at the dinner table. With James gone, I thought about what it’s like to be alone. It can be a true joy to be by yourself just doing whatever you heart desires at that moment. But it can also be quite scary and lonely. I have to admit that I was a little nervous with James gone. Despite my fears, I decided to take full advantage of the weekend.
The art of being alone is being able to fully enjoy it…savor the happy thoughts and savor the sad thoughts. Here’s a list of things I did while I was alone this weekend:
1. Slept in deliciously late.
2. Chuckled to myself over this adorable birthday card (and, of course, I hoarded many copies of it.)
3. Watched my favorite movie, Amelie. One of my favorite scenes below.
4. Gave myself a pedicure. And got really excited that I discovered matte nail polish by OPI here.
5. Watched copious amounts of TV on Bravo (Gallery Girls is my new obsession.)
6. Took long baths with tons of bubbles…and wished I had this bathtub desk.
7. Ate donuts and ice cream (donuts in the morning, ice cream at night.)
8. Spied on my new neighbors moving in. I can’t help it, I was curious!
9. Window shopped and actually shopped. (Bought this adorable heart cardi from Madewell.)
10. Went on long walks and realized that there’s a cool fall breeze in the air. Joy!
11. And, of course, I perused my favorite fashion blogs, where I found this amazing wedding day video. I think I want my wedding to be this care-free and happy.
Although it was a great weekend, I’m very happy that James will be home today! Hope you all have a great day.