It’s easy to look at Facebook, Instagram or someone’s blog and conclude that their life is perfect.  When a picture is posted, a lot of times you don’t know exactly what someone felt or what they wanted to convey in that photo.  You don’t know if the person was happy, sad, anxious, scared, excited, or afraid.  I didn’t want to do a year-end post that painted a picture of a year without pain, struggle and growth because this year has been a true challenge for me.  I’ve dealt with anxiety my whole life, at times it’s been relatively inexistent, while other times it’s been stronger.  It came back with a vengeance this year.  It was like nothing I’ve ever felt before.  Panic attacks had become a part of my everyday life.  Luckily, towards the second half of the year, I learned how to manage my anxiety and deal with my emotions.  While dealing with my own challenges, other big life changes made me feel like my whole world was turning upside down.  My parents moved out of the home I grew up in, the only place I’ve ever truly called “home”.  My brother got married, which is, of course, a joyous experience, but something totally new.  I’ve always had a difficult time with change.  I cried, felt tired, wanted to give up at times, but now I can say I’ve made it and I’m stronger than I was 12 months ago.  That’s enough of an accomplishment for me.

This year, I learned a lot about myself, solidified some lifelong friendships, accomplished some big milestones with my career, and I continued to work hard on my blog and participate in some pretty amazing brand collaborations.  Some of my favorite projects this year were my H&M collaborations, hosting the kate spade new york opening at Easton, working with Hanes, shooting guest blog posts for Capital Style Magazine, assisting a local wardrobe stylist at a commercial shoot for Muscle & Fitness magazine, being featured in Lucky Magazine, working with some great local businesses as advertisers, and styling many outfits for my blog.  I’m the luckiest girl on earth that I get to wake up everyday and do what I love and be with the person I love.

…oh and Beyonce released a surprise album. :)

This was a year I’ll never forget and I’m looking forward to a strong start to 2014.  I made a video highlighting some of my favorite moments.  Happy New Year and I thank you for following along.

ls

10 Responses to happy new year

1. I love this post. I think you know you’re truly strong if you can be open about your weaknesses. We’re all struggling with something, sometimes less or more than others, but to me it seems like you’re triumphing! You totally inspired me today! Thanks! :)

• ls says:

Ash, thanks so much for the kind words! It was a difficult post to write and I went back and forth about whether or not I was going to publish it, but it’s part of my commitment to producing honest content. Happy New Year!

2. P says:

So proud of you!

3. Yue says:

Hi Lily! I love this post so much!! It is so honest and encouraging! I want to know your recommendations regarding ways to manage anxiety and deal with emotions (I know this is not supposed to be the focus of your blog). Believe it or not, this is my top 1 new year resolution I had just written down before reading your post.

As a reader who check your blog every single day and always look forward to your updates, I never left a comment. But I do want to leave a comment on the first day of 2014. I love your blog, your styles, and the positive energy you have conveyed in your posts.

I hope you have a fulfilling and happy new year.

• ls says:

Yue! Thanks so much for commenting! Anxiety is something everyone deals with and it’s great to know that others are going through it. Thanks for reading my blog. Happy New Year!

4. Lily, I posted something similar today just before I read your post. (I linked to it from facebook after I posted mine.) Obviously your words really resonated with me and I had to comment! This post is beautiful and so are you! You said it all so well. Happy 2014, LS! I hope it brings even more good things. xo

• ls says:

Molly, thanks for the kind words! And good for you for sharing your own struggles on your blog…I know it isn’t easy. Happy New Year!

5. 33 says:

It’s growing pain. YOu are so young and have so much ahead of you. While you are not married and have kids, this is the best time to fortify your mind and head.

Congrats on a great 2013. I am sure your 2014 will be filled with growth and accomplishments as well.

BTW, you are like a young Kat Bosworth and do share some of her style trademarks. :-)